Friday, September 23, 2011

First Take: Brown Eyed Girls' Sixth Sense


Wow. K-pop, get ready to get your grounds shaking and rumbling because Brown Eyed Girls are back with their full on voice prowess in 'Sixth Sense'.


First of all, wow. This is something so entirely different than the rest of the kiddie songs I've seen lately in K-pop. The whole song is just a medium for the girls to showcase that voice that they have. I don't think this will be an easy song to sing live, dancing or not. It sounds like screaming, but more like controlled singing with notes. I mean, it's just awesome.

Brown Eyed Girls wanted to come back big and they delivered. It was definitely different than 'Abracadabra' or 'Sign'. The notes are a little complex for an average shower singer to sing. Not even your average singer can reach notes like that. I can surely say that your average idol can't sing that, and will they even dare to try? I'd love to sing this song live from top to bottom. Can the BEG girls themselves do it? I mean, the screaming is pretty intense all on its own. I have to see the live performance of this to really get the full effect.

I also really love the music of this. It's full on power. You have drums, and strings, and electric guitars. It's awesome. Plus! No autotune! Thank you BEG, you saved my day.

The video concept reminds me a little of Beyonce's 'Run the World' but not in its full sense. In BEG it's more like creativity versus the evil orthodox world. Or at least that's what I'm getting. The posters all say stuff like "resilience" so it must be that right? And the sexiness? No idol groups can touch this. Having three members already hit 30 it means the maturity that BEG has is nothing like the girls of other groups. When they try sexy, they mean sexy, and they look sexy for real. They're not randomly trying on bikinis or garter belts just to look sexy, BEG is actually sexy.

But is it me or it the whole "meow" thing really annoying? Like seriously, it sort of goes against the strong woman concept thing. I guess with cats and their sixth sense is the reason but I still don't like it.

I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with Brown Eyed Girls and I'm definitely liking this song. It's a song you have to appreciate, and not those annoyingly cloying other K-pop songs so it's good. They just bring something fresh on the table and with the talents that they have, it doesn't seem like a lot of other groups can even keep up. Way to go, BEG!

No comments:

Post a Comment