Tuesday, July 26, 2011

First Take: After School Red vs Blue


Second post in the First Take corner. Today we are going to look into the sub-units of After School which divides the group into two: After School Red and After School Blue! With each sub-unit already released a music video, let's put them head-to-head to see who is the leader of the pack.

A little background check: AFB are given a cute image and consists of members Jooyeon, Raina, Lizzy, and E-Young. AFR on the other hand has a sexier image with members Kahi, Jungah, UEE, and Nana.


First up, wee are going to start with After School Blue's single, "Wonder Boy" only because their music video came out first. My initial thought after watching this? Cute. As expected. It was exactly how I expected it to be: cute music, cute set, cute facial expressions. It fits the whole cute concept to a tee. Maybe to others it was a bit much, but I thought it was okay. At least they wore everyday clothing. Except for one thing: garters. I didn't know garters were meant for cute, unless you're channeling Lolita. I thought it wasn't such a big deal, but apparently the Korean netizens did. They always make a big deal out of everything anyways so I'll just let them be. I don't have much to say about this music video really. They did everything they're supposed to do so I'm not left all confused. I wasn't 100% excited about it, but then again I'm not into cutesy stuff anyways.


After School Red released their music video "Into the Night Sky" a few days ago. My first impression? I was not impressed. At all. It was such a disappointing video, disappointing music. Unlike AFB who are cute in all possible ways, AFR are not. Clothing-wise has the sexy going on, but no more than that. The music was anything but sexy. If I didn't know that this was AFR's song, I would've thought it was AFB's because it was more cute than sexy. The song also reminded me a lot of Sistar's "How Dare You". A lot. I almost thought that they were singing the same song. The dance was also awkward. With a power dancer like Kahi, you'd think that they'd do something a lot stronger. But no. They just moved their hands a little and swayed here and there. I don't ask them to be slutty but come on! There's even no clear concept in the music video. They just, I don't know what they're doing. They "raced" to the desert at like 20 km/h, had a staring contest between the three girls and UEE and the "gang", had a campfire with a bunch of random people, and went home. Um, yeah.

So who do you think won in the fight between Red versus Blue? When I initially heard of the sub-units I was full on Red. I didn't care about cute and besides, there's Kahi and Jungah! They're like the original awesome After School before they started going downhill. And no offence Jooyeon. But after the MVs actually came out, I have to say Blue is winning my vote. They were consistent with their image and they added some vocal prowess (?) in their song thanks to Raina. I haven't heard the rest of the songs in their respective singles so this is strictly from music video. I guess cute will win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment