Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Jo Seung-woo Returns to the Small Screen


I've got exciting news (for mostly myself). Jo Seung-woo is coming back. This time, he will be making another round on the small screen, this time I'm pretty excited about.

Last time we heard about Jo Seung-woo (or at least the last time I talked about him) was when he won the MBC Daesang award for his work on Horse Healer. For the record I didn't watch that drama because dammit it's way too long. Anyways, that was back in December 2012, well over a year ago. Since then, he's been on the down low. He was back on stage in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, his second go as the titular transgender rocker Hedwig and yet another return performance on Man of La Mancha. Screen wise, he was on an SBS drama special/TV movie Lee Sang that Lee Sang which aired back in November. That's quite a lot, yes, but nothing I can consume which in my head makes everything else doesn't count.

But fear not! Jo Seung-woo has confirmed to return on the small screen for his first try at a mini-series with God's Gift - 14 Days alongside Lee Bo-young and Kim Tae-woo. The story is about a mother (Lee) whose daughter was killed and was given a chance to travel back in time to save her child. Jo will be playing a detective of sorts who will help her track down the criminal, while Kim will play Lee's husband who is also a human rights lawyer. It's set to air mid-February on SBS.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. Horse Healer kind of sucked because it's just way too long. I only watched like half an episode, skipping to only Jo Seung-woo because... not-so-epic sageuk sucks. I'm sure he did great but  I didn't feel like watching it. This drama, however, is a mini series. As in your typical 16-24 episodes. It has a time limit (or at least supposed to. Who knows what will happen irl). It's a thriller type, so hopefully it won't slow down too much. And there's Lee Bo-young and Kim Tae-woo which should be good.

Before I was researching for this post, I initially thought Jo Seung-woo was going to be in two projects: one drama and one movie. The movie, previously known as Ingenious Beauty and now called Big Match, was set to co-star him with Lee Jung-jae, who is also a pretty damn good (and hot) actor. The story is revolved around gambling, which Jo did back in 2006 with Tazza. Alas, it turns out he will not be starring in that movie. His role will now be played by Shin Ha-gyun who I'm also a fan of. But not as much as Jo Seung-woo, so you get me right?

Despite being slightly disappointed he won't be in another movie this year (or at least not yet), this drama deal is pretty good. I'll be able to watch it and if it's good, it means I get to watch him weekly. Which is always great. I know everyone is looking forward to this drama because of Lee Bo-young but what the hell... I'll be in the stands cheering for this ajuhssi. (Although they're probably on the same team, but whatever).

Bonus pics from here.


7 comments:

  1. You are not alone.... I'll be cheering for this hot ajuhssi too. Love him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I just spot a fellow Jo Seung-woo fan? Can we be best friends already? (if that didn't make me seem like a crazy person, I don't know what will)
      *ehem* Anyhow, look forward to more God's Gifts posts in the future! So glad I'm not alone with the ajuhssi excitement XD

      Delete
  2. You are not alone, not at all. I became a fan of his work when I saw him in The Horse Doctor. What an excellent, superb actor. He also has a beautiful voice (sings). When I read the news I was so excited and happy to see Cho Seung Woo again in a drama. Can't wait!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay more friends! His voice is glorious! If only Korea makes musical movies, he would be the perfect actor for it :)

      Delete
    2. He would be awesome!!! My Dear Oppa!! ^^

      Delete
  3. Hey Conan my BFF :-) Looking forward to more JSW news in your blog < 3

    ReplyDelete