Sunday, June 3, 2012

First Take: Big Bang's Monster


Korean group Big Bang spared no time in releasing a new single, this time with 'Monster'. The song comes off of their new special edition album, Still Alive. In under 24 hours, the video has gained over 2 million views which to me is quite impressive. According to allkpop, the video also had quite the budget (sadly unspecified) and is up to far to Hollywood movies, whatever that's supposed to mean. Anyways, this is my first take on Big Bang's newly bred 'Monster'.

 

My first biggest impression of the video: holy guacamole are they sporting some very questionable hair. I mean, they're definitely not new to it. But I think this takes the grand prize. The only person who had a normal head of hair is T.O.P who was ironically the sore thumb of the group in their last set of videos with his cotton candy blue hair. The biggest culprit is definitely Taeyang with his questionable "Mickey Mouse" hair. Maybe some of you love it, including the man involved, but it was definitely far for my favorite hairstyle ever.

The song itself is great. I guess that's what you should expect from Big Bang. I've been digging their songs more lately and it seems like they don't want to lose that grip too soon. This song had a very dramatic feel to it which I'm loving. Although at timesI feel like the music is supposed to go with the video and not the other way around. The video itself is so epic, it just overshadows the music. Thankfully there are slits of member solo shots which reminds you that this is after all a music video.

I think the main pull to this music video is undoubtedly the video itself. I wouldn't say it's up to par to Hollywood movies with hundreds of millions of dollars in budget, but it's definitely one of the coolest K-pop videos I've seen. I can tell they spent a lot of time on the transformation of the members into monsters. The transformation looked so cool and effortless. You have to pay attention if you don't want to miss out. My favorite was when Taeyang slowly turns into a devil. I had to rewind to make sure I didn't just see a shadow. And this happened a lot throughout, so just keep your eyes peeled for those tiny changes.

I'm extremely happy to see Big Bang graduate from your everyday K-pop boy band and making a name and image all their own. The three Alive music videos they had proved me they still had that "it" factor, and this music video strengthens that theory. It wasn't a perfect music video, that last running through rubble scene could do without, but overall was it a great video.

Currently Big Bang is on tour with their Alive Concert Tour which is their first worldwide tour. The tour kicked off in Seoul last March 2 and will be continuing to 25 cities around the world. So, to those of you who are lucky enough to be visited by Big Bang in their home city, lucky you and I hope you have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment