Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Something to Look Forward to This September: Yoo Ah-in's Wandeuki!


It's been a while since I've blogged about another favorite actor of mine, Yoo Ah-in! Ever since his stint in Sungkyunkwan Scandal he's been everywhere. Either that or I'm just more aware of all his projects because I'm his fan. Well, now there's another project to look forward to. It's his new movie, Wandeuki!

The story is about Do Wandeuk, played by Yoo Ah-in, who is your typical troublemaker. He doesn't care about school and it seems like the only thing he's good at is picking fights. A not so typical teacher Dongju, played by the ever so awesome Kim Yun-seok, will then teach him to use his strengths for good, in this case kickboxing. The movie is based on a famous novel in the same name.

When I first heard of the movie project, my initial response was yay! Yoo Ah-in is going to be in a movie, which is always a good thing. But then the following response is boo! Why is he being typecasted as being the rebellious teenager? He's friggin 25 already. Give him a break. But then again he does have a say in what he wants to do so maybe this is something he wants to do. Maybe he's not ready to let go of adolescence yet.

If this was a perfect world, I'd love to see him in the most tear jerking movie that could ever be made, ala Nicholas Sparks. Or in Korea's case, ala Kwak Jae-yong. Korea being known as one of the best melodrama makers I know, it'd be so awesome just for the sake of it. It's not like he hasn't cried on screen before but a melodrama just makes everything all the while. I mean you can't consider yourself a Korean actor if you've never been in a melodrama.

Well despite all that, I'm definitely looking forward to this. Because of Mr. Yoo himself but also because of the tone of the movie. I'm glad it's going towards comedic, which is always a good thing. It's been a while seeing him in a comedic work and I know he's pretty good at it, even if it's not anything revolutionary. So with this, my second half of 2011 looks pretty promising with 3 movies out from two of my favorite Korean actors. If only school will be as great as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment